miércoles, 25 de octubre de 2017

Entrevista a la vibrafonista y compositora Yuhan Su





LA HABITACIÓN DEL JAZZ
INTERVIEW:
LHJ: Jazz is, to some extent, minority, so is the vibraphone in jazz. Do you like challenges?

YS: I love challenges, because that brings something new and exciting. It may lead to somewhere you never thought you would arrive and experience. Vibraphone is indeed a minority instrument in Jazz or in music in general. I like to look it in a way as possibilities. For the love of this instrument and jazz music, I want to create more colors, textures, layers, and intensity to the music by this instrument.

LHJ: Has living in the USA helped you to launch your artistic career?

YS: Totally. I started to focus on jazz, improvising, and composing career since I moved to USA. I currently live in New York. Being surrounded by lots of amazing musicians and artists whole time really helps me to shape my own artist vision in a fast speed. And I was fortunate to have saxophone virtuoso Greg Osby to release my debut album in his record label Inner Circle Music.

LHJ: Your education is principally classic, but your artistic career is related to jazz. Are those two worlds as different as they seem or do they have something in common?

YS: For me, it’s all music in the end. Having classical music training coming earlier in my life really helps me to have strong foundation of instrumental skills. It’s like when you learn your mother language since you were born. I feel very lucky to have this background to be the core of my creative world. And leading to studying Jazz and improvising music completes me to really find a way to speak for myself and putting things into perspectives.

LHJ: Music is often defined as something emotional, cerebral and, above all, lyrical. Do you share this definition?

YS: I do. One part of my main desire to write and play music is to remember the moments, remembering the feels, how the world looks or smells like, remembering some important people.  And we create new dialogue with the memories with ourselves, with the band and the audience.

LHJ: When you are composing, do other kinds of art, like literature or dance, inspire you?

YS: Yes, there are some songs inspired by novels, song inspired by my watercolor painting experiences. This year I particularly play a lot of music for dance. I have to make music related to body movements constantly. So there is a new song of mine we will perform in the festival, it’s called Feet Dance. It’s my imagination of having the camera zooming in to the feet part and having a bit fun and adventure with it.

LHJ: You are an enthusiastic of the marimba, an African instrument. Does your music have African influences?

YS: I play lots of marimba music while I studied classical music. It’s a beautiful instrument with such a warm and large sound like forest. I won’t say my music directly influenced by African, but I think this instrument has lots to do with grooves in its nature. And that’s what I love to play too.

LHJ: How much does working with an important discographic (Inner Circle) matters in terms of developing a musical career?

YS: Inner Circle Music features lots of jazz musicians with strong individual voices and I really share the center artistic idea of the label of being fearless in a creative world. I’m very grateful to have started my music journey with the label. Thanks to this, my music could gotten notice in a early period of my career.

LHJ: Your first CD, Flying Alone (2013), received a lot of awards and nominations. What makes this second CD, A Room of One’s Own (2016), different from Flying Alone?

YS: A Room of One’s Own, I went deeper with my narrative writing ideas. There are compositions with different movements. My youth dream was to be an novelist. I always enjoy writing and describing concepts in varied angles. And the second album features my quintet in New York that we’ve been working together for few years. I love how the sounds flow between musicians. I’m planning on recording my next album in few months. And it will be quite different as well!

LHJ: How important is improvisation for you?

YS: Improvisation is very important for me. I love creating things and it also connects me with people, with other musicians. And we don’t improvise based on nothing, it takes lots of study to know more traditions of any kinds of music which a lot of time is based on improvisations. So it always goes both ways. I love it because I never get bored. And in able to not get bored of myself, I learn more.

LHJ: Quintets and sextets for wind instruments, electric guitar, trios or duos with violin or double bass... You like innovation, acoustic and electronic. Your versatility is fantastic. Does it have any limits?

YS: Hopefully not! I love varieties. Just like learning cultures, languages, knowing more people in a musical way.


Yuhan Su actúa en quinteto dentro de Jazz Círculo en la 
Cafetería "La Pecera" del Círculo de Bellas Artes de Madrid.

26 octubre 2017 
21:30h


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario